Our kidneys are among the top detoxifiers in our body. If you have had a kidney removed, or have had kidney dysfunction in the past, you might wonder if there are any ways to improve your kidney function. Here, I’ll discuss 14 foods that nourish the kidneys.
Foods That Heal
The following are all foods you should be getting if you’re scared of kidney dysfunction, or you’re a diabetic and want to avoid dialysis. These foods will help improve your kidney health and function:
- Kale – Kale is low in oxalates, which are compounds that can cause kidney stones. Kale does contain a lot of iron, and people who have kidney problems often don’t have enough iron in their blood.
- Cabbage – Cabbage is full of phytochemicals, nutrients, and lots of different vitamins that the kidney loves.
- Cauliflower – Cauliflower is high in fiber and folate, both of which help restore life to kidney function. You can steam cauliflower and mix it with butter for a healthier alternative to mashed potatoes.
- Garlic – Garlic is good for blood, heart, and kidney health. It’s also anti-clotting and anti-inflammatory.
- Onion – Onions are better for you raw, and are loaded with quercetin, a vitamin that supports your immune system.
- Pumpkin Seeds – Pumpkin seeds are very high in magnesium, which decreases the risk of kidney stones.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Provides several benefits from digestion to reducing kidney stones, to clearing out your liver.
- Red Bell Peppers – These are full of antioxidants.
Foods That Cleanse
If you’ve overwhelmed your kidneys with toxic foods, alcohol, or drugs, you have to start cleansing them. Here are some of the foods you can eat to do it:
- Ginger – Ginger purifies the blood. You can take this in a tea form, shave the root and add it to a different tea, or eat it by itself.
- Turmeric – Turmeric is the ultimate anti-inflammatory, and it lowers the risk of infections, especially in the kidneys.
- Nettle – The nettle plant is a diuretic that helps push fluid out of the kidneys. It’s also high in iron and helps clear out UTIs, which can cause kidney infections.
- Uva Ursi – Uva Ursi is good for your bladder and UTIs.
- Marshmallow Root – This is a diuretic that is very good for your gut, helps move fluid out of the body, and helps with and prevents UTIs and stones.
- Asparagus – This is a good diuretic and can break down stones.
If you need more information on a kidney cleanse, you can check out an approach here that utilizes several of these herbs.
If you’re suffering from kidney stones, I made a kidney stone reversal video just for you that can help you break those stones down and restore comfort to your kidney.