It can be hard these days to navigate around fleeting health fads in order to find genuine information on what is really best for your body.
You know, for example, that you should be consuming multiple servings of both fruits and vegetables every day.
Additionally, though, if you are anything like the large majority of Americans, you struggle to meet those servings requirements on a daily basis. You have read some articles that suggest greens powder supplements are a great way to, well, supplement your diet. But how do you know if these supplements are actually good for you?
The short answer is yes, greens powder supplements are generally healthy, as long as you know what to look for and what to avoid. This article will educate you on all things greens, and help you discover the supplement that is best for you. Plus it will help you design a healthy lifestyle in order to best experience the benefits of your greens powder supplement.
What Is A Greens Powder Supplement?
Greens powder supplements are meant to supply us with a nutritional balance, especially when it comes to fruits and vegetables. Typically they are made by extracting the nutrients from their source, then drying said nutrients and crushing them into a powder. Greens powders are simple to use and require only that you add them to a drink such as water or milk.
Common ingredients in green powder supplements are leafy greens, other vegetables, fruits, antioxidants, seaweed, probiotics, plant-based digestive enzymes, herbs, grasses, nutritional extracts, added fiber, mushroom, and natural sources of sugar.
Though greens powder supplements are typically low in calories, they are absolutely bursting with vitamins and minerals. They can support better immune function and digestive health, and also serve to detoxify the body.†
Greens powder supplements have very limited, if any, side effects, but if concerned you should still consult with your primary care provider before adding one to your diet.
It is also important to remember that greens powders do not function as a replacement for whole fruits and vegetables. If all you eat is processed, unhealthy foods, greens powder supplements will not be able to transform your diet and health.
However, they can help you reach your daily serving requirements of vegetables and fruits, as long as you are getting nutrients from other sources, too.
Things To Look For In A Supplement
The three most important things to look for in a greens supplement are a third-party seal of approval, assurance of zero chemical use, and organic ingredients.
Third party labs, like NSF and USP, test supplements to make sure that the ingredients on the label are the same as the ingredients inside the bottle. They also ensure that the supplement is safe to use and that there are no toxins present in the supplement.
Many greens supplements are lacking when it comes to taste. The most common description of the average greens supplement is “grassy.” To make up for this, brands use added sugars and sweeteners, which counteract the otherwise nutritional value of the supplements.
Look for natural, low-sugar/sugar-free sweeteners, like monk fruit, or add the greens powder to your favorite beverage (green tea complements the supplement very nicely). Or, better yet, you might really like the taste on its own!
Here are the main ingredients you should look for in a greens powder supplement and their benefits:†
- Dark, leafy greens – Vegetables like kale and spinach are loaded with essential vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants. They can promote healthy digestion and bolster the immune system.
- Probiotics – Probiotics add healthy bacteria into the digestive system, in order to keep the gut performing at its best.
- Superfoods/antioxidants – Antioxidants like turmeric (specifically its active ingredient circumin) help soothe the entire body and prevent/minimize oxidative damage to the cells.
- Sea vegetables – Sea vegetables, such as spirulina, can promote healthy thyroid function and immune health, as well as maintain healthy cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
- Fiber – When nutrients are extracted from things like leafy greens, such as through juicing, almost every nutrient remains just as concentrated, if not more so, than before. This is only untrue for fiber. Therefore, it is important to find a greens supplement that adds extra fiber to make up for this loss. Fiber aids healthy digestion. It will also help you feel more full, which low-calorie fruits and vegetables will not.
Which Supplement Is Right For You
The search for the right greens powder supplement is definitely a challenging one. However, it really does not have to be. Livingood Daily Greens offers you everything and more that you need from a greens powder supplement:†
- Nutrients galore, including antioxidants and fiber
- Zero chemicals
- No soy, gluten or dairy–vegan-friendly
- Third-party certified and produced in a FDA and GMP approved facility
- Heart health
- Cell nourishment
- Supported digestion
- Delicious taste
- 54 healthy ingredients, such as beta glucan, turmeric, spirulina, milk thistle, and broccoli
- Added fiber
- No artificial sweeteners, sugar spiking sweeteners, or stevia. Only sweetened with monk fruit
The best part is, Livingood Daily Greens are simple and easy to use–just add a scoop to water or nut milk and drink! No clean-up, no juicing, no grocery shopping. Just good taste and a nutritious meal.
Better yet, blend Livingood Daily Greens in with Livingood Daily Collagen to create a filling, metabolism-boosting, and soothing drink, such as this Kale And Green Apple Smoothie.† Other add-in options include green tea, nut butter, Greek yogurt, and half a banana.
Keep your Livingoods Daily Greens supplement on hand for when you are travelling and want to boost your immunity, or for when you know you will have less opportunity to eat balanced, healthy meals.†
How To Optimize The Benefits Of Your Supplement
Greens supplements are effective in giving you proper nutrients and creating better energy levels, but they will be most effective when paired with a healthy lifestyle.
Though it can be difficult to make major changes to your lifestyle, your mental and physical wellness will greatly improve by making healthy choices.
- Diet: While greens supplements offer an excellent supply of essential nutrients, they are not meant to be a replacement for any kind of vitamins or minerals. Thus, it is important to make sure you eat a healthy, well-balanced diet even while taking a greens supplement. A good guide to follow is the Mediterranean diet, which advocates eating mainly vegetables, fruits, lean protein, healthy fats, and whole grains. You should also avoid sugars, processed foods, fast food, baked goods, and foods high in processed salt, as they have little nutritious value and may introduce harmful toxins and fats into the body.
- Hydration: Your body is built on water, and so it needs to be constantly hydrated to function at its best. There is no set amount of water that each person should drink everyday–instead, follow your body’s cues in terms of thirst. Your urine is a good indicator of how hydrated you are, with a dark yellow color signifying dehydration. Try to limit your fluid intake to zero-calorie drinks such as water, tea, and (moderate amounts of) coffee, and avoid sugary drinks like soda. Drinks and supplements high in electrolytes will help you rehydrate after extreme loss of fluids, such as through sweating or vomiting. Alcohol functions as a diuretic, meaning it will increase urine output and therefore dehydrate you quickly if not drunk in moderation.
- Exercise: By exercising 3-5 times a week, you can support better mental and physical health. For one, exercise helps you maintain a healthy weight. It also improves circulation and digestion, and minimizes stress. Find the form of exercise that is most exciting and fun for you, so you will look forward to incorporating it into your daily routine. Physical activity does not have to last a long time to be effective-high intensity interval training (HIIT) is a fast and adaptable workout that gets your heart pumping and burns fat. There are plenty of workout videos out there that are compatible for home workouts–no equipment, limited space, all the same benefits!
- Sleep: The average adult needs around seven to nine hours of sleep each night in order to get through the day with optimal focus and energy levels. Exercise can help improve your ability to fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. Sleep better by adjusting the temperature in your bedroom, limiting technology usage right before bed, and taking time to unwind in the evening.
- Stress relief: High levels of stress make it difficult to get a full night’s sleep. Stress is also linked to all kinds of chronic illness and disease, so it is crucial to limit it as much as possible. Find whatever helps you relax and make sure to fit it into your daily schedule, whether it is exercise or meditation or a few minutes of journaling.
Making these positive changes in addition to using a greens supplement will help you discover real health!
Greens supplements are full of vital nutrients that can detoxify the body, increase energy levels, and strengthen your heart.†
Supplement your greens powder with a healthy diet, adequate sleep, and frequent exercise to experience holistic health and wellness for the long run!