Magnesium is one of the most important elements you can put in your body for overall wellness, especially nerve function and heart health! Let’s break down 20 foods that are packed with this powerful nutrient and discuss why you need to get it into your body ASAP!
Magnesium transports electrolytes in your body and drives calcium & potassium into your cells so they function optimally, so magnesium deficiencies are no joke! Magnesium content’s effects on transportation impact how the muscles fire in your body … especially the heart!
Other great benefits of having sufficient magnesium intake include:
- Relaxes muscles
- Relieves constipation
- Lowers chance of arrhythmias
- Decreases chance of blood pressure issues, reducing the risk of heart disease
Now that we know why it’s so important, let’s get into what food sources naturally have the highest amount of magnesium (along with quite a few other health benefits on top of providing a source of this important mineral!).
20 Magnesium Rich Foods
1. Spirulina – These algae contain super nutrients that can be taken as a dietary supplement and added to smoothies.
2. Basil – Cooking with basil is a great way to get some extra magnesium.
3. Wheat Bran – Whole grains are a good source of magnesium, but if you are on an anti-inflammatory approach, take caution as they can agitate the system.
4. Spearmint – Mint is added into greens powder to improve taste and also contains good amounts of magnesium
5. Pumpkin Seeds – Great for heart health and loaded with magnesium.
6. Dark Chocolate – Yum! Make sure it’s 60-70% cacao to benefit from the antioxidants as well.
7. Parsley – Cooking with parsley or taking it in as a green juice is highly beneficial.
8. Flax – adding flaxseeds into a smoothie makes for a great source of magnesium as well as omega 3’s, which help fight inflammation.
9. Brazil Nuts – Great source of magnesium as well as selenium, which supports thyroid health and hormones.
10. Almonds – Add almonds to your trail mix with a bit of Celtic sea salt to get some great benefits and added magnesium.
11. Spinach – Always popping up in healthy recipes. Make it easy and put a handful in your morning smoothie.
12. Cashews – Whole, raw cashews can be added to your magnesium trail mix for added magnesium and other benefits.
13. Black Beans – Just 1 cup of black beans has 120mg of magnesium! Also, black beans are the threonate form of magnesium that can cross the blood/brain barrier.
14. Avocados – A heart superfood with magnesium, potassium, and fiber. Cut up with your black beans or put in a smoothie.
15. Sprouted Grains – The healthiest type of bread, where the grains are sprouted to protect the nutrients, not processed like white bread.
16. Hummus – Legumes offer a great source of magnesium. Dip fresh, raw veggies into an organic hummus for a tasty snack.
17. Artichokes – Eat straight up, put them on a salad, or get creative and top your homemade pizza with these!
18. Quinoa – This is a grain, so may not be recommended for people who are trying to reduce the amount of inflammation in the body or trying to lose weight, but it does have a lot of nutrients and is a good source of magnesium.
19. Swiss Chard – Another easy one to add to your salad or throw into a morning smoothie (along with other leafy greens and leafy vegetables!)
20. Bananas – Not a favorite pick due to the sugar content that can spike insulin levels, and the fact that most are genetically modified, but as far as magnesium goes … it made the list!
Make It Simple
With that list of best sources of magnesium, the 2 easiest ways to get your daily value intake of magnesium into your system are 1) a morning smoothie and 2) a trail mix with nuts and seeds. Magnesium is not only beneficial to beat pain, relax, and help your digestive system but also ensure that you have good heart health in the long term.