Are you taking expensive, health-harming supplements without knowing it? It’s possible – many popular supplements are loaded with toxins that can damage your body.
In this blog, I will discuss how to identify and avoid these toxic supplements. I’ll also share some safe, healthy alternatives. Keep reading to learn more!
The following oils are rancid, and you should avoid having them in your supplements:
- Soybean Oil
- Safflower Oil
- Cottonseed Oil
- Vegetable Oil
- Canola Oil
- Palm Oil
If you’re looking for oils that are better for you, look for supplements that contain any of the following:
- Coconut Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Olive Oil
- Macadamia Oil
- Fish Oil
As a general rule, avoid oils that are stored in a clear container. The sunlight that hits it makes the oils rancid for your body. This is why it’s better to look for oils that are stored in dark, opaque containers.
Finding supplements that test for and reduce heavy metal exposure is crucial. Your supplements should state on the front of the bottle whether the manufacturer tested them for heavy metals.
I would recommend avoiding supplements from overseas. Some other countries don’t have good practices for their machinery and testing, which can cause heavy metals to end up in your body.
Added, Artificial, & Hidden Sugars
In America, we consume 152 pounds of sugar per person per year. Try to stay away from any kind of corn products such as maltodextrin, any form of starch, or any word ending in -ose.
Vitamin C supplements and gummies use ingredients such as sucralose, aspartame, Splenda, and Nutrasweet. These are toxic forms of artificial flavorings that are filled with hidden sugars.
You should absolutely avoid a supplement if they contain any of the following artificial colorings:
- FD&C Blue No. 1 & 2
- FD&C Green No. 3
- FD&C Red No. 3 & 40
- FD&C Yellow No. 5 & 6
These artificial colorings are only to make the supplement look more appealing or “fun” and are typically marketed toward children. The FDA has shown a connection between artificial food dyes and behavior issues, ADHD, and hyperactivity.
As a consumer, it can be hard to tell if a supplement is synthetic or not. You should watch out for fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E & K), which are especially dangerous in a synthetic form. They can build up in your body’s fat tissues and liver.
Synthetic vitamins are a lot cheaper to make, so a lot of them will be found on grocery store shelves.
- Magnesium Silicate – Anti-caking agent that can cause lung problems when inhaled.
- Magnesium Stearate/Stearic Acid – Make sure this comes from a vegetable source and not a rancid oil.
- Sodium Benzoate – Benzene chemicals have been linked to cancer, so we should do our best to stay away from them.
- Titanium Dioxide – Linked to lung inflammation and compromises the immune system.
- Arsenic & Carrageenan – Also potential sources of toxicity
Look For Toxic Free Guarantees
- No Yeast
- No MSG
- No Preservatives
- No Artificial Colorings
- No Artificial Flavorings
- Sourced from Grass-Fed, Free Range, and Wild-Caught
- No Heavy Metals
- No GMOs
Best Supplements to Take
You take a number of different supplements depending on what you’re dealing with. Here are my recommendations of what supplements you should take for each issue you could have.
- Omega 3, 6, 7, and 9 Fish and Plant-Based (Livingood Daily Omegas+Turmeric) 400mg – 2400mg Daily
- Turmeric 500mg – 3g Daily (Livingood Daily Omegas+Turmeric)
- Greens, Anti-inflammatories, Anti-oxidants (Livingood Daily Greens )
- Vitamin D3 2,000-20,000 IU per day depending on the case. Take with K2 (MK4 & MK7), Mg, Vitamins A and E, and fat to aid absorption (Livingood Daily Vitamin D)
- Vitamin C with Quercetin 1,500-10,000mg per day depending on the case (High-dose Vitamin C or Livingood Daily Energyze)
- Vitamin B6 (Methylated) (Livingood Daily Collagen + Multi or Livingood Daily Multivitamin)
- Zinc 10-50mg per day (Livingood Daily Vitamin D and Collagen+Multi )
- Oregano Oil + Monolaurin (Used for a fungus or virus)
- Silver Serum (Colloidal Silver) (Used for bacteria and infections)
- Probiotics (Livingood Daily Greens, Vitamin D, and my blend of pre-pro-post biotics)
Gut Health Support:
Liver Health :
- Spirulina, Chlorella, Fruits and Veggies (Livingood Daily Greens)
- Milk Thistle (Livingood Collagen+Multi)
Thyroid Health Support:
- Selenium, Iodine, Methylated B Vitamins (Livingood Daily Thyroid Support)
Best Supplements for Heart Health
High Blood Pressure
- Hawthorne, Potassium, Magnesium, Lipoic Acid, Pomegranate, Beet Root Powder (Livingood Daily Health Blood Pressure Support)
- Omega 3, 6, 7, and 9 Fish and Plant Based (Livingood Daily Omegas+Turmeric)
- Plant Sterols, Beta Glucan, Grape Seed Extract, Curcumin, Reduced CoQ10, Garlic, Vitamin E (Livingood Daily Cholesterol)
- Omegas 3, 6, 7, and 9 Fish and Plant-Based with Turmeric (Livingood Daily Omegas+Turmeric)
- Taurine, D-Ribose and Electrolytes (Livingood Daily Energyze )
- Methylated B Vitamins (Livingood Daily Collagen+Multi or Livingood Daily Multivitamin)
- Green Foods, Potassium, and Anti-Inflammatories (Livingood Daily Greens)
Heart Valve Issues
- Vitamin D3 taken with K1, K2, (MK4 & MK7), Mg, Vitamins A and E, and fat to help absorption (Livingood Daily Vitamin D)
- Vitamin C as a precursor for collagen for blood vessels (Livingood Daily Energyze)
- Livingood Daily Greens
- High Potency Omegas 1500mg (Livingood Daily Omegas+Turmeric)
- Plant Sterols, Beta Glucan, Grape Seed Extract, Curcumin, Reduced CoQ10, Garlic, Vitamin E (Livingood Daily Cholesterol Support)
- Vitamin K taken as K1, K2 (MK4 & MK7), Mg, Vitamins A, D, and E (Livingood Daily Vitamin D or Multivitamin)
Supplements for Blood Sugar/Diabetes Support
- Glucomannan (Livingood Daily Collagen+Multi Protein)
- Juice Fasting and Meal Replacements (Livingood Daily Greens)
- Livingood Daily Bars
- Nettles, Tinospora, and Quercetin (Livingood Daily Allergen Support)
Everyday Supplement Recommendations
The following supplements are what I take every day:
- Vitamin D3 taken with K2 (MK4&MK7), Mg, Vitamins A & E, and taken with fat to absorb (Livingood Daily Vitamin D)
- Livingood Daily Collagen+Multi Protein – My multi plus blood sugar support
- Omegas 3, 6, 7, and 9 Fish and Plant-based with Turmeric (Livingood Daily Omegas+Turmeric)
- Livingood Daily Greens with 54+ Nutrients, Probiotics, and Digestive Enzymes
- BONUS: Livingood Daily Energyze for Vitamin C and Electrolyte Powder
- BONUS: Livingood Daily Bars as Snacks or Healthy Meals
The most important thing for immune system health is vitamin D3. Still, I would recommend that you stop taking vitamin D3 until you understand how to take it safely without damaging your body.
If you want to learn more about how to take it, I made a video for you that breaks everything down.
If you want a guide, you can get it here, which comes with training and a video of me going around the drugstore.